SASL/GSSAPI bind in LDAP plugin?

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at sun.com
Thu Feb 16 17:47:45 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:48:36PM -0800, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I don't think this answers the question.  If you're using Kerberized
> replication utilities then you need to configure slave machines to
> authenticate against an external kdc to bootstrap.  This has nothing
> to do with LDAP back-ends.

I originally started this thread trying to understand a scenario like
the one pictured below (figure thanks to JavE):

   +-------+     +-------+       +-------+
   |  KDC  |     |  KDC  |       |  KDC  |
   +--|----+     +--+----+       +-.-'---+
       `-.          |           .-'
          `-.       |        .-'
             `.     |     .-'
               `-.  |  .-'
                  `-.-'
               +---------+
               | DS/KDC  |
               | (KDB)   |
               +---------+

I was wondering if how the KDCs not on the DS could do a SASL/GSSAPI
LDAP bind to the DS which uses Kerberos for auth.  I was not trying to
suggest this was the only way for a KDC to access a KDB stored in a
directory.

> As for who's running who:  well if the data is all in LDAP, then I
> think that decision has already been made.  The kdc is just a
> specialized front-end for the directory.
>
> In that architecture I would probably prefer to put the DS(s) and the
> KDC(s) on the same machine(s) precisely to simplify (and better
> secure) their interaction.

Sure but some may want a more flexible configuration.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.