Null realms and servers

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 24 23:18:34 EST 2006

    Nicolas> On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 10:51:05AM -0800, Russ Allbery
    Nicolas> wrote:
    >> I believe assuming the default realm will be accurate in
    >> significantly more circumstances than using any algorithm based
    >> on the name of the system.

    Nicolas> Certainly not in multi-realm environemts, and in any
    Nicolas> case, in a zero-conf environment there is no default
    Nicolas> realm: one has to be discovered.

Nico, I completely understand zero-conf clients.  But I don't
currently believe in zero-conf servers.  You need to get the keytab
onto the machine somehow.  At that point you could set a default realm
or configure a domain_realm mapping.

I don't understand how a server can perform your canonicalization
algorithm without first getting tickets.  I don't think it is
appropriate for krb5_rd_req or especially krb5_kt_* to get tickets.
Again, anything taht gets you tickets to do the canonicalization could
set up a default realm or domain_realm mapping.

I do agree with you completely for the client side.