pkinit updates

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Dec 12 14:48:47 EST 2006

Jim Rees wrote:

> I think the PKCS11 environment variable should still work.

Right, I found that. But I would expect the environment variable to
be droped in favor of the -X parameters.

 > But you don't
 > need to specify the slot any more, unless you have more than one token.

There is not nessesarily 1-1 corespondence between readers and slots.
PKCS#11 says: "It is possible that multiple slots may share the same reader."

OpenSC can allocate multiple slots to the same card, if the security
requirements are different, i.e. you could have a session with slot 0
using a pin, but an session with slot 1 without a pin. It is not
clear if OpenSC has gone too far in doing this, but they did it.
There are OpenSC parameters  num_slots = to assign slots to a card,
and hide_empty_tokens.

 > pkcs11-tool -L
Available slots:
Slot 0           CCID Compatible
   token label:   PIV_II (PIV Card Holder pin)
   token manuf:   piv_II
   token model:   PKCS #15 SCard
   token flags:   rng, login required, PIN initialized, token initialized
   serial num  :  9876543210
Slot 1           CCID Compatible
   token label:   PIV_II
   token manuf:   piv_II
   token model:   PKCS #15 SCard
   token flags:   rng, PIN initialized, token initialized
   serial num  :  9876543210
Slot 2           (empty)
Slot 3           (empty)
Slot 4           (empty)
Slot 5           (empty)
Slot 6           (empty)
Slot 7           (empty)

> Our current code allows you to specify the slot like this:
>
> pkinit -X X509_user_identity=PKCS11:module_name:slotno
>
> but I don't know if that's in svn or not.

No it choked with the :0.

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439