An alternative plan for principal mapping

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 3 14:27:07 EDT 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 7:35 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Will> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:46:33AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz
>     Will> wrote:

>>> and that is > support for login policy plugins (LPP).  Note,
>>> this is distinct from > password policy.  The KDC would
>>> interact with a LPP in two ways:
>>>
>>> In effect this is an authorization policy, not an
>>> authentication policy.
>
>     Will> Essentially that is correct.
>

> It's important that we don't create a situation where services expect
> the KDC to perform authorization checks and fail insecurely if that
> does not happen.
>
> PAC like behavior is fine because a service can tell if the PAC is not
> present.  However something where a service expects a KDC only to
> grant tickets to authorized users would be a really bad idea, because
> it would mean the service is only secure with certain KDCs.
>
> --Sam

That's a very correct technical position to take.  That's why I
called attention to the issue.

OTOH (at the risk of starting another long thread with Greg W. like I
did once before) the only thing people really care about is
authorization.  I already have problems with people believing that
having a Kerberos ticket is sufficient to access things.  A standard
way to solve the authorization problem without requiring another
independent implementation/integration effort would be very nice.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu