An alternative plan for principal mapping

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 2 22:35:40 EDT 2006

    Will> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:46:33AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz
    Will> wrote:
    >>
    >> On Aug 1, 2006, at 9:03 AM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:
    >>
    >> > This relates to something I brought up before on this list
    >> and that is > support for login policy plugins (LPP).  Note,
    >> this is distinct from > password policy.  The KDC would
    >> interact with a LPP in two ways:
    >>
    >> In effect this is an authorization policy, not an
    >> authentication policy.

    Will> Essentially that is correct.

It's important that we don't create a situation where services expect
the KDC to perform authorization checks and fail insecurely if that does not happen.

PAC like behavior is fine because a service can tell if the PAC is not
present.  However something where a service expects a KDC only to
grant tickets to authorized users would be a really bad idea, because
it would mean the service is only secure with certain KDCs.

--Sam