broken compatability between 1.3.5 and 1.4.1

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 30 18:57:13 EDT 2005

Tim> In regard to: broken compatability between 1.3.5 and 1.4.1, Paul Moore said...:
>> Did you know this? The shared libraries are not binary compatible.
>> Certainly GSS applications built against the 1.3.5 libraries do not work
>> against 1.4.1 libs.
>> There is a missing symbol that the loader picks up in some cases.
>> a good example is openssh 3.9 built against 1.3.5. It segfaults against
>> 1.4.1 when a gss connection comes into sshd

Tim> I reported this earlier too (February 10th), and it's bug # 2920 in
Tim> the MIT Kerberos bug database.

Interesting.  As early as 1.2.x, the *_init_ets() functions were
marked as private, so prototypes should not have been available unless
KRB5_PRIVATE was defined.

Also, somewhere since 1.2.x, we started to use export lists to
restrict symbols exported from shared libraries on Unix platforms.

---Tom