Turning off hostname canonicalisation

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Tue Sep 13 12:22:11 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:46:30AM -0400, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

> So I'd like to understand why folks are using [appdefaults].  Sun's
> need is fairly straightforward: "we had it before and can't de-
> support it".  But how are sites actually using this feature?

Note also that the only use Sun makes of [appdefaults] is that which MIT
krb5 utilities ever made, namely kinit.

> Specifically:
>
> * What tags to you use in the [appdefaults] section?  What values are
> you setting them to?
>
> * Do you need each application to receive different values for a
> given tag?  If so, why?
>
> * Where does your code to read [appdefaults] live?  (In every
> application?  In the Kerberos libraries?)
>
> * What APIs do you use to read [appdefaults]?

 * Are you asking for GSS-API extensions which allow an application to
   specify its name?

   [Keep in mind that the GSS-API is often used in libraries, at various
   code layers, so merely assuming the name of the program that the
   process is executing is not sufficient.]