Turning off hostname canonicalisation

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 12 19:34:00 EDT 2005

Clearly, I've opened a can of worms.  *sigh*  The universe should be
simpler than this.

In an ideal world, where all the possibilities exist I think the
priority for an option setting should be:

Program, hard-coded
Program, local preferences config
[appdefaults] program={REALM={...}}
[appdefaults] program={...}
[appdefaults] REALM={...}
[appdefaults] ...
[libdefaults] REALM={...}
[libdefaults] ...
library, hard-coded

Of course if all the [appdefaults] possibilities exist, then the
[libdefaults] possibilities are redundant, provided it's well-known and
consistent that the option isn't in [libdefaults].  Ticket renew
lifetime comes to mind as an issue.

Just my offhand opinion.  I'm not trying to torque anyone around.

On Sep 12, 2005, at 3:58 PM, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

>>>     Jeffrey> The answer is 'no'.  Settings in [appdefaults] are not
>>>     Jeffrey> for reading by the Kerberos libraries.  They are for
>>>     Jeffrey> reading by the application.
>>>

>>> It's not that simple.  Or at least Sun has proposed making it not
>>> that
>>> simple.
>>>

>> Er, well, not quite.
>>
>> *I* certainly prefer libdefaults over appdefaults, but I don't mind
>> having both, with appdefaults being most specific.
>>
>> What Sun did mind was removal of appdefaults for kinit, which we had
>> add back in when we resync'ed to recent releases of MIT krb5.
. . .

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu