Turning off hostname canonicalisation

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 12 15:41:02 EDT 2005

Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jeffrey> The answer is 'no'.  Settings in [appdefaults] are not
>     Jeffrey> for reading by the Kerberos libraries.  They are for
>     Jeffrey> reading by the application.
>

> It's not that simple.  Or at least Sun has proposed making it not that
> simple.
>
> --Sam

I can certainly imagine in world in which the library took the process
name it is currently running in and used that as a means of hunting
for settings in the [appdefaults] section.

I can also imagine a mechanism (not currently available) whereby an
application can construct an in-memory profile and add that to the
profile chain as a means of configuring the library.

At the moment, settings in [appdefaults] are not used by the library
and I believe that until we have a better understanding of how such
functionality should behave, that we should not rely on the
[appdefaults] section as it will create a backward compatibility
requirement that we will be forced to support.

Jeffrey Altman