ac_check_krb5 - comments requested

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 21 16:17:18 EDT 2005

>Manual configuration in addition to the user running configure setting
>LIBS and CPPFLAGS explicitly?

Well ... I guess it depends on the package.  I guess most of the time
you'll be compiling everything with Kerberos libraries, but when I did
the openafs autoconf code, I had KRB5LIBS and KRB5CFLAGS and I used
those because I only had a few programs that I needed to compile
Kerberos with.  Those were seperate variables.  But for packages that
have optional Kerberos support, you might want to do some conditional
compilation (e.g., a particular .c file is only compiled in when you
enable Kerberos support, or a special define is added to CPPFLAGS).  In
the OpenAFS case, I wanted to be able to say, "Hey, compile code in this
directory, but don't get the compiler flags from krb5-config".  Maybe
it would make sense to include two example autoconf macros; one for
"simple" packages, and one for more complex ones?

(I'm not sure the OpenAFS autoconf code is necessarily correct, but
it seems to work good enough for now).

--Ken