ac_check_krb5 - comments requested

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 21 16:02:12 EDT 2005

>>>>> "kenh" == Ken Hornstein <kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

kenh> The autoconf macros I wrote have always set LIBS (I'm assuming you mean
kenh> for the output of krb5-config --libs).  Seems to make sense, and it works
kenh> reasonably well.

Ok, I think I'll make that change, then.

kenh> I never ran into an issue with putting the runpath info simply into LIBS,
kenh> but I was always compiling using the same compiler on every system to
kenh> compile Kerberos and the various applications.

>> (3) Related to (2), what should be done about differences between
>> compilers on the same platform?

kenh> I guess I see a couple of options:

kenh> - Somehow make krb5-config know about the different runpath options supported
kenh>   by different compilers.  I guess dealing gcc and a vendor-supplied compiler
kenh>   would be the big ones.

This seems rather complicated.

kenh> - Always return the same flags (the current behavior, I guess), and let the
kenh>   user have to manually fix this up.  Alternatively, you could supply the
kenh>   compiler to krb5-config, and if it doesn't know about it, you could return
kenh>   an error and the autoconf macros could notify the user that he will have
kenh>   to configure Kerberos manually.

Checking that the CC in the current configure script is the same as
the one used to build krb5 might be a decent thing to do, but would
also require additional support from krb5-config to emit CC, and
ideally would involve coordination with Heimdal.

kenh> I still think it would be reasonable to support a manual configuration,
kenh> especially if krb5-config output is wrong (which does happen on occasion).

Manual configuration in addition to the user running configure setting
LIBS and CPPFLAGS explicitly?

---Tom