Thoughts on initial ticket acquisition/verification on Sun (slightly OT)

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 16 20:12:01 EST 2005

I just finished an auth plugin for Sun LDAP 5.2 that will accept a
simple bind username/password and verify it against a K5 server.  It
carefully does nothing if it's a SASL bind so the native SASL/GSSAPI/
K5 bind works as expected, using the native Sun Kerberos libraries.
It calls the MIT-API routines discussed on this list, so it works
with either MIT or Heimdal libraries (linked so they don't
interfere).  It uses the same ldap/... principal and keytab that the
Sun SASL support uses, and we will configure things so that keytab
isn't the system one.

Nico suggested that I consider using PAM for this function.  That
does fill the functionality gap in GSSAPI, but. . .  Sun's pam_krb5
uses the system keytab and the host/... principal.  There don't seem
to be any options to change the keytab location and principal used to
do the verifications.

I think pam_krb5 should let you specify the keytab file and the check
principal.

I think GSSAPI and MIT-API libraries should have an environment
variable that sets the default keytab file, analogous to KRB5CCNAME.
The commercial sendmail authproxy uses KRB5_KTNAME.

Alternatively I think the keytab file location could be put in the
[appdefaults] section of krb5.conf.  Or both.  The point is:  this is
best practice;  you should support it in the libraries, not require
every application to program it independently.

 From the Kerberos FAQ, question 5.1:

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu