Change in K4 ticket cache format

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 17 21:08:17 EDT 2005

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> writes:

> I have a fiarly hideous proposal for a way to write out krb4 ticket
> files on 64-bit platforms so that they will be parseable both by tools
> that believe issue_date is 32 bits and those that believe it is 64 bits.
> I also have corresponding code for reading it back in.

> The downside is that my technique works only on little-endian platforms.

> I'll post more details later; at the moment I'm off to dinner.

I'm actually fairly convinced by the argument that it's not worth caring
about, particularly after the discovery that we'd maintained local patches
for years in this area.  So, at the least, don't worry too much about this
on my account; I think we can deal with our problems locally for the
remaining time that we're stuck with K4.  (We're getting some traction on
getting the project to move off of it approved, so I expect that within
three years we won't care any more.)