building krb5-1.4 on hpux and solaris with native compilers

Arlene Berry aberry0364 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:56:07 EST 2005

I have tried building krb5-1.4 on several versions of both hpux and solaris.
  I ran into a number of issues some of which I was able to circumvent and
some I was not.  All I really wanted to do was a simple "configure
--enable-static" and make using native tools.  None of the versions of
solaris and hpux I tried worked out of the box.  Here are all of the issues
I ran into:

1.  On solaris 9 and older versions, the configure worked but the make
failed quickly because it tried to run autoconf which is not installed.  I
tracked down the cause and it was a "#" character in the dependency rule for
configure.  This was due to "@MAINT@" in config/post.in.  MAINT was set to
"#" because maintainer mode was disabled.  I tried --enable-maintainer-mode
and got past this error but then make wanted to run autoheader.  At this
point I reverted to no maintainer mode and removed the "@MAINT@" from
config/post.in.  I'm not sure how this should be fixed permanently.

2.  Solaris prior to version 8 does not support the linker options "-z
initarray" and "-z finiarray" but these options are set for all versions of
solaris in config/shlib.conf.  I tried removing them and then ran into issue
#4.

3.  On solaris I'm getting multiple warnings of the form:
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../SC4.0/bin/fbe: "/tmp/yabeAAAIdaymB", line 2137:
warning: label in delay slot (follows CTI).  Fbe is the assembler component
of the compiler.  I have no idea what this means, what's causing this, or
where to start looking.  I am using an older compiler but I have never seen
this warning before.  Any help would be appreciated.

4.  On multiple versions of hpux and older versions of solaris I got:
"k5-platform.h", line 261: error 4062: "Don't know how to do load-time
initializers for this configuration."  This looked like it was related to
the dynamic library initialization and that --disable-delayed-initialization
might have some effect.  It didn't.  I have tried various things and none of
them seemed to do anything.  Does anyone how to get around this?