krb5-config and static vs shared

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Dec 3 02:03:47 EST 2005

Ken Raeburn <raeburn at mit.edu> writes:

> Yeah, for a good start, we could try to change krb5-config to do
> something more reasonable.  But it'll definitely get more
> complicated, and probably system-dependent.

One approach that wouldn't be quite as nice for the end user but which
would require less system-dependent work on the Kerberos side would be to
add a --minimal flag to krb5-config that, if given, gives you the library
link flags that assume that you have excellent shared library
dependencies.

The approach that I'm taking with my own Kerberos software is to add a
separate configure option, --enable-reduced-depends, that if given links
only with the libraries whose API I call directly.  That way, the people
who don't care about this thing get the current safe behavior and
packagers can use that flag and get something that's friendlier to
dependencies.