Can't run config.sub

Marcia R. Newcomb Marcia.R.Newcomb at Hitchcock.ORG
Tue Jul 20 16:03:08 EDT 2004

I am attempting to compile Krb5 v1.3.1 & am running into an error. I know there are newer versions of Kerb5 but this is the version I need for a specific project. I got the source code, ran aclocal & autoconf, & then tried running ./configure. It does run for a moment & then gives this error:     "configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config/ config.sub"

I've looked all over the Internet & cannot seem to find an answer to this that works for me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
This is what I am running on my system:

Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v 3
automake 1.6.3
autoconf 2.57