Porting Heimdal's libkafs to MIT Kerberos

Steven Michaud smichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 15:42:36 EST 2004

Thanks for the quick answer.

> I just don't see anything you gain from folding it into the main
> Kerberos distribution.

Until I'd read Darren Tucker's note
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=107363804131871&w=2),
and also Ken Horenstein's, I'd have been inclined to agree.  Now I see
that you gain the ability to use krb5-config in your configure script.

The author of a libkafs port would (at the very least) have to detect
and alter an existing MIT krb5-config script.  But maybe this could be
done without actually patching the MIT distribution.  For example, you
could capture the output of the existing krb5-config script, then
rewrite it to add flags for your libkafs port (you could even "borrow"
most of the code to do this from a recent MIT Kerberos distribution).
Is the kind of solution you would suggest?

In any case, I think it's safe to tell the OpenSSH folks not to expect
libkafs in MIT Kerberos anytime soon :-)