Kerberos Feature Request

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Thu Feb 12 03:43:28 EST 2004

Henry,

Thankyou for the examples. This helps understand your requirements. Comments below prefixed with Tim>

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry B. Hotz [mailto:hotz at jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: 11 February 2004 23:01
To: Tim Alsop; krbdev at mit.edu; heimdal-discuss at sics.se; darwin-development at lists.apple.com
Cc: Dj Byrne
Subject: RE: Kerberos Feature Request

Use case 1:  I need to control access to some information based on ITAR (US Export) regulations.  There is an existing LDAP attribute listing whether each kerberos user is a "US Person".
	KDC queries LDAP for each ticket request for that attribute to see if it's true.  If so put the info in the authorization data.
If not, or if LDAP is down, then leave it blank or set it false.
Services that care need to check it.

Tim> The KDC does not have to query the LDAP directory - this can be done after authentication has taken place using a pam module (for example) or an authorisation exit/module in the application/service. This approach is commonly used thoughout the Kerberos community. The confusion is introduced because Microsoft have chosen to transport authorisation data inside Kerberos tickets, but this has disadvantages and is not considered by some as being the best architecture. We find that most people want to use Kerberos to authenticate a user to an applicationk and then once they know who the user is, they should determine whether that user can access the application by using a standard LDAP lookup ... If the LDAP directory supports Kerberos binding (ie. SASL/GSS/Kerberos) then the forwarded Kerberos credentials available at the application can be used to bind with the directory to securely read the authorisation attributes.

Use case 2:  I'm required by Government regulation to use AES-256 encryption and CRYPTOcard hardware authentication with my windows domain.
	Set up a windows server.  Set up the Kerberos server to support those things and, in addition to query the appropriate attributes from windows.  Package the windows info appropriately and include it for compatibility.
	(Actually that may be a bad choice of Kerberos features.
Just pick something that MS doesn't support, but might be necessary and easy to implement.)

Tim> I think somebody else responded to your email earlier on this subject - This can be done today using cross-realm trust between a non-MS (UNIX based) KDC and the Active Directory KDC. The user account is created on non-MS KDC and user authenticates, but when PAC data is needed by an application an additional cross-realm TGT will be requested from MS AD that will contain the authorisation data.

Use case 3:  I don't want to pay Microsoft all the fees for their server.
	Tap into all the open information about how to set up the windows information on an open LDAP server.  Then proceed as in case 2.  (Alternatively you could construct a PAC attribute ahead of time on the LDAP side and just copy it into the ticket.)

Tim> This is a clear potential requirement, but as I commented before - do you realy think Microsoft would allow such a product to exist ? If it did, then they would loose sales of Active Directory and would likely do their best to kill the product concerned ??? Just my opinion - maybe being over cautious !!

Does this help?  All three of these cases are at least close to something I might actually have to do.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu