KLL as a cross-platform API

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at columbia.edu
Thu Apr 22 19:04:50 EDT 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:

>    Jeffrey> I would consider this programmer error.  Jeffrey Altman
>
>Alexis and I discussed and disagree.
>
>In cases where a primary object exists, then its context will be used.
>IN other cases, one of the contexts will be used.
>
>Both Alexis and I believe that things should work in these cases, but
>the behavior may confuse users sometimes.  For example, if the context
>has a debugging mode, and you pass in objects with different debugging
>modes, you may be surprised by the result.  IT will clearly be one of
>the two debugging modes from contexts you used.
>
>--Sam

I do not think that we disagree at all.  If the programmer
provides objects and gets what appears to be a random
result because one of the two contexts is used, I am simply
stating that the reason for the strange result is the fault
of the programmer, not the fault of the library.

I don't think the library should be validating the
equivalence of all contexts passed into a function.

- Jeff