Modifying gethostxxx() under Solaris

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Tue Mar 18 15:26:08 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:33:05PM +0100, Degrande_Samuel wrote:
> According to Nicolas Williams (Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:12:47 -0800):
> > One way to avoid this is to make sure that:
> >
> > a) your /etc/inet/hosts file lists FQDN forms first
> > b) your name service is DNS (if not then make sure that NIS/NIS+ are
> >    configured to return FQDNs as the cacnonical host names)
>
> Sure, I'm fully agree with you.
>
> But I guess that if we change it, then we will have to change a lot
> of other things, like our sendmail configuration and rewriting rules,
> scripts feeding the DNS (some hosts are declared in the NIS map but
> are outside of the 'public' DNS zone), scripts used for files backup,
> and a lot of others we can't even think of.

I don't think this is correct.

You can still keep most everything else working as today by making sure
that the original non-FQDN canonical hostnames remain as aliases.  Also,
ALL hostnames that are resolvable through DNS have a fully qualified
form (even if that form is not evident to you from the zone file, it
should be as the @ORIGIN value is appended to any non-FQDN RR name in
zone files).

> I didn't want to have to put everything in trash...
>
> If you think that we SHOULD really change our name services, that Sun
> recommandations are really a bad idea, then we will start thinking
> about it...

Which Sun recommendations did I say were a bad idea?

Cheers,

Nico