Modifying gethostxxx() under Solaris

Degrande_Samuel Samuel.Degrande at lifl.fr
Tue Mar 18 11:33:05 EST 2003

According to Nicolas Williams (Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:12:47 -0800):
> One way to avoid this is to make sure that:
>
> a) your /etc/inet/hosts file lists FQDN forms first
> b) your name service is DNS (if not then make sure that NIS/NIS+ are
>    configured to return FQDNs as the cacnonical host names)

Sure, I'm fully agree with you.

But I guess that if we change it, then we will have to change a lot
of other things, like our sendmail configuration and rewriting rules,
scripts feeding the DNS (some hosts are declared in the NIS map but
are outside of the 'public' DNS zone), scripts used for files backup,
and a lot of others we can't even think of.

I didn't want to have to put everything in trash...

If you think that we SHOULD really change our name services, that Sun
recommandations are really a bad idea, then we will start thinking
about it...

--
Samuel Degrande           LIFL - UMR 8022 CNRS - Bat M3
Phone: (33)3.20.43.47.38  USTL - Universite de Lille 1