Problems with wshelper res_init.c

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at columbia.edu
Thu Jul 10 10:34:44 EDT 2003

Douglas E. Engert wrote:

>Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>

>>Looking at the patch and the MIT WSHelper code I have to wonder whether
>>the WSHelper which is being shipped with KX509 is out of date or out of
>>sync with the MIT distribution.  As far as I can tell the code you have
>>identified as being the problem should never be executed on 2000 and XP
>>because those systems support the IPHelper API.
>>

>Well that might explain why I have not gotten any reports of problems
>with the Kerberos code.
>
>The UMich res_init.c code matches the MIT, except  that they made it more
>standalone by including some header info in to the code. The code itself
>did not appear to be changed.

If this is the case, I would be extremely interested in knowing why the
IPHelper code is not be used instead of the search through the Registry.

>All they really need is to lookup a srv record. Is there some easy way
>in W2K to do this? (For W2k could they just use the DnsQuery functions?)

I see no reason why you could not use DnsQuery()

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dns/dns/dnsquery.asp

provided that they only need to support Win2000 or above.