524 and NAT

Ben Creech bpcreech at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 15 23:07:00 EST 2003

Has anyone ever worked on getting krb524 working with NAT?  I've been
fooling with it for a while, but figured I should actually see if I'm
replicating someone else's work.

For the unaware, if one calls krb524_convert_creds_kdc from behind NAT,
one will get an incorrect network address error (I think
KRB5KRB_AP_ERR_BADVERSION).  If one attempts to use address tickets, one
gets an invalid address field error (KRB524_BADADDR).

The easy fix is to alter increds.addresses to add the "real address"
(the address exposed to the KDC) when calling krb5_get_credentials.
Thus, the ticket will come back with the write address info and krb524
will happily convert it.

However, it is hard to attain this address on the client side.  I've
implemented some tomfoolery involving a traceroute and record-route
pinging, but it fails on the many NAT servers which simply strip all IP
header options.

What I'd like to know is: Does anyone know of a good way to get the
address of a machine's NAT server (or more concisely put the address
that the KDC actually sees)?  It seems that there might be some obscure
way to get an address out of the KDC.  Alternately, is there a better
way to get around this problem that I'm not seeing?

Other things I've considered doing:
-Put a "your_IP_is.cgi" on some web server (cons: another service to
support and fix when it breaks, not everyone's got a web server with a
cgi-bin laying about)
-Adding a simple "your ip is:" reply to krb5kdc (cons: modifying the kdc
is probably left to the more experienced, applying and migrating a patch
with every update will get annoying - this is not to say I would mind
MIT doing it for me!)
-Hacking krb524d to ignore and/or fix the address inconsistency (cons:
weakens the security - if a v5 sgt is cracked, it can be used from
anywhere if the service will also accept v4 sgts)

Incidentally, some v4 services (definitely AFS, I think Cyrus) seem to
ignore the address field completely.

Ben Creech
NCSU ITECS