feature request for Mac Kerberos...

michael.dautermann@umich.edu michael.dautermann at umich.edu
Wed Dec 10 17:03:57 EST 2003

Thanks for responding to my message, Scott.

> The reason the location is /Library/Kerberos Plug-Ins instead of
> /System/Library is because only system components provided by Apple
> are supposed to go in /System/Library .  Really, no third party stuff
> is every supposed to go in there.  Apple says the correct place for a
> third party to put something that needs to be available to all users
> is /Library , and so that's where the Kerberos Plug-Ins go.

This explanation makes sense.

> Here's what I did when I last needed to install something in /Library
> with VISE. :

Here's another (possibly simpler?) solution they told me to use
(to get items into the /Library folder):

Choose an install location of "Library" and then a domain of "Local Domain".
Of course the installer has to be authenticated as admin.

This solution seems to work fine with the currently shipping version
of InstallerVise (8.2.1.), which is why I'm copying the krbdev list on
this (in case any other Mac developers have run into this problem like me).