errors trying to configure krb5-1.2.8 when specifying 64bit compile options

Swift, Louise louise.swift at hants.gov.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:30:10 EDT 2003

Hi, I'm having problems with configure when installing krb5-1.2.8
./configure --with-cc=gcc --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared      gives no problem, but if I use
./configure --with-cc=gcc --with-ccopts=-m64 --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared  i get errors.

The output from the 2 commands is listed below. I would really appreciate any help/hints you can give me.
 Cheers
Louise Swift

./configure --with-cc=gcc --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for C compiler... gcc
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
LD defaults to gcc
CPPOPTS defaults to
no krb4 support
checking for working const... yes
checking for gethostbyname... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... yes
checking if DNS Kerberos lookup support should be compiled in... yes
checking for res_search... no
checking for res_search in -lresolv... yes
.
.
.etc & works fine

the highlighted yes' are no in the example that fails

# ./configure --with-cc=gcc --with-ccopts=-m64 --without-krb4 --with-tcl=/usr/local --enable-shared
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for C compiler... gcc
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
CCOPTS is -m64
LD defaults to gcc
CPPOPTS defaults to
no krb4 support
checking for working const... no
checking for gethostbyname... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lsocket... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking for gethostbyname in -lresolv... no
checking for socket... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... (cached) no
checking if DNS Kerberos lookup support should be compiled in... yes
checking for res_search... no
checking for res_search in -lresolv... no
configure: error: Cannot find resolver support routine res_search in -lresolv.

Louise.Swift at hants.gov.uk