Greetings! .. I'm lost. Compass has no pointer mechanism!

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Aug 6 00:00:24 EDT 2003

>Here's the problem: ... I am supposed to enter a login and a password. ...
>where do I obtain such items? =8-)

I guess it's one of those things that nobody comes out and says the
answer, because we've all been dealing with Kerberos for a billion years
and we think the answer is obvious.

The short answer is: You get those from your Kerberos administrator.

A slightly longer and hopefully more useful answer: To use Kerberos,
you need a Kerberos-aware client application, a Kerberos-aware server
application, and a Kerberos server.  It sounds like there isn't a
Kerberos server available, so you'd have to configure your own
(which isn't impossible, but it's a fair amount of work if you're
coming in cold to it).  Kerberos I think is a great solution to
solving the problem of network authentication, but it requires a fair
amount of infrastructure.  It pains me to say it, but I almost think
in this case (given that you have no experience with Kerberos) you're
probably better off using something that requires no infrastructure,
like ssh.

--Ken