problem with kerberos telnetd on AIX

David McWilliams davem at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:30:22 EDT 2003

AIX allows administrators to set limits (stacksize, datasize, number of
files, etc.) for individual users as defined in the file
/etc/security/limits.

We noticed that limits are not set for users when they login using kerberos
telnet, but they work fine when users log in with ssh.

I posted a note on comp.unix.aix, and someone told me that telnetd needs to
call setpcred to set limits in AIX.  I looked in the source code for ssh
and found the following in the function do_setusercontext (sets login name,
uid, gid, groups):

    #ifdef HAVE_SETPCRED
                 setpcred(pw->pw_name);
    #endif /* HAVE_SETPCRED */

I found no reference to setpcred the telnetd source code.

Does anyone know if there is a version of kerberos telnetd with a call to
setpcred?  If not, do any of you telnetd experts have any suggestions for
how to modify it?

Dave McWilliams
NCSA/University of Illinois