keytab file entry comparison problem

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Mon Sep 30 09:08:01 EDT 2002

In ktf_g_enc.c, the code does a loop where it reads entries
from the keytab file and compares to match up with
a specified principal, kvno, and enctype.

routine: krb5_ktfile_get_entry()

I have a situation where my keytab file contains keys
for the local host from 3 different realms.  One of my
realms does not have 3DES key support but the others
do.

When trying to find a match for the realm which does NOT
support 3DES keys, this function always returns a
"bad encryption type" error  because keys from the *other*
realms have 3DES keys.   The problem is that this routine
checks the enctype before it checks to see if the principals or
realms match.   I think this is incorrect, if the key we are searching
for is in realm FOO.COM (enctype 1), and the search
routine comes across an entry for BAR.COM (enctype 16),
it should not even bother looking at the enctype because this
key is not of interest.

The fix is to compare principal's before comparing enctypes.

See below (I just moved the principal compare function ahead of the
enctype comparison):

ktf_g_ent.c
69a70,76
 > 	/* if the principal isn't the one requested, free new_entry
 > 	   and continue to the next. */
 > 	if (!krb5_principal_compare(context, principal, new_entry.principal)) {
 > 	    krb5_kt_free_entry(context, &new_entry);
 > 	    continue;
 > 	}

72d78
<
95,102d100
< 	/* if the principal isn't the one requested, free new_entry
< 	   and continue to the next. */
<
< 	if (!krb5_principal_compare(context, principal, new_entry.principal)) {
< 	    krb5_kt_free_entry(context, &new_entry);
< 	    continue;
< 	}
<

-Wyllys Ingersoll