our SPNEGO direction

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 11 14:48:01 EST 2002

Wyllys Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com> writes:

> The primary requirement for making this a pluggable is the ability to
> dynamically load a library at run time.  Can you name a major OS that
> does not support this feature and lacks any sort of "workaround" for the
> lack thereof?

It's fairly annoying to even do this portably across Unix varients.

I suggest starting by making it pluggable at compile time.  If someone
could drop a new mechanism implementation into the tree in a separate
directory and maybe modify one line of a makefile or something and have it
build without requiring any other changes to the distribution, I think
you'd get 80% of the advantages of a run-time plug-in system with less
than 50% of the pain.

Plus nearly all of the work you'd have to do to make that possible is work
that you'd have to do anyway at some point to support the run-time plug-in
system.