our SPNEGO direction

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Mon Nov 11 13:11:01 EST 2002

No, and I don't see where that is even remotely relevant.
Kerberos as it stands today does not support *EVERY*
OS out there.  It does work quite well on almost all of
the "major" OS's  - most flavors of Unix, Windows, Mac,
VMS, ... Forgive me if I don't name every single
OS in existence.

The primary requirement for making this a pluggable
is the ability to dynamically load a library at run time.
Can you name a major OS that does not support
this feature and lacks any sort of "workaround" for
the lack thereof?  Im sure you can probably name a
couple, but how relevant are they and is it a fixed
requirement that everything released must support that
OS?)

I'm not bashing the work thats been done, my suggestion
was just that a pluggable GSS architecture is vastly more
useful than one that is hard coded to support only a fixed
and precompiled set of mechanisms.   The whole point
of SPNEGO is to be able to support multiple mechanisms
transparently, I think this concept goes hand-in-hand
with the idea of a pluggable architecture.
As long as this is still in the design stages, I thought I'd
bring it up as something to consider.

-Wyllys