bug report

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 18 11:33:00 EST 2002

>Hi there,
>
>I installed Kerberos for Macintosh 4.0 on a PB G4 667MHz, 512 MB, OS
>X 10.1.3 (Build 5Q45).
>XFree86 4.2 with XDarwin 1.6 - WindowMaker 8.0 is installed.
>
>After installing Kerberos 4.0 I suffer from the following
>mis-behavior on both Terminal.app and XDarwin terminal windows:
>
>Starting XDarwin by default launches an eterm window (Eterm-0.9).
>With this term open all appears to be working: Terminal.app and
>additional X-term windows do start. Running top though there is a
>klist process which takes up to 50% of the CPU. Launching additional
>terms do not create additional klist running processes in the
>background.

There are two problems here.

The first problem is that in /usr/share/init/tcsh/logout (the default
user logout script on Mac OS X), there is a line "if ({ (klist -s >&
/dev/null) }) kdestroy".  This is probably where your klist is being
run from.  As a workaround, remove that line, and you can put the
klist back in /usr/bin.  Since you installed KfM 4.0, I imagine you
want to use it.

The second problem is that klist isn't immediately terminating.
Since we've never seen this problem before and are unable to
reproduce it here, I'll need some information from you:

(1) Did the Kerberos for Macintosh 4.0 installer report any problems
installing?  If you hand-installed the binaries, what tools did you
use to copy the binaries into their installed locations?

(2) When klist is running and consuming your CPU, is there a
CCacheServer process running?  If so, what arguments is it running
with?  You should be able to get the arguments from "ps".

(3) What (if any) are the contents of
"/Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos" and
"~/Library/Preferences/edu.mit.Kerberos".  Are these files readable
by you?

(4) If possible, try running /Developer/Applications/Sampler.app or
gdb on the pid of your klist process when it's eating 50% of your
CPU.  A backtrace of klist in this state might be useful, even if
some of the entries are unknown (the binary is stripped).

(5) What happens when you launch /Applications/Kerberos.app.  Are you
successfully able to get Kerberos tickets from Kerberos.app or
/usr/bin/kinit?

Thanks for your feedback,

--lxs