problem with kerberos 5 telnet plugin

Scott McGuire smcguire at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 4 11:36:00 EST 2002

At 11:16 AM -0600 2/19/02, Rick Goyette wrote:
>Here is an interesting problem.  We recently moved our kerberos
>server to a Windows 2000 machine.  I use a mac and KfM 4.0 fc1 and
>kerberized betterTelnet to get a forwardable ticket.  Connecting to
>the first machine works fine, but if I try to connect to a second
>machine I get this error:  "kerberos 5 telnet Plug in (a bunch of
>giberish) nstructing service name: Server not found in Kerberos
>database failure on credentials."  This persists until I quit
>betterTelnet and restart.  Then whatever machine I connect to first
>works again, but any additional machine fails as above, even if the
>requested node shows up in the kerberos control panel as having been
>forwarded the ticket.  Pointing back to our old DCE server still
>works correctly.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

We were unable to duplicate this problem here at MIT with fc1 or 4.0
final, although we do not have a Windows 2000 machine as a Kerberos
server to test with.  But with a Unix KDC, we were able to telnet
with forwarded tickets to a variety of different machines in the same
BetterTelnet session without problems.

It sounds like it could be a problem with the plug-in; try contacting
the author of the Kerberos 5 plug-in or BetterTelnet.

Scott McGuire / smcguire at mit.edu
MIT Information Systems Macintosh Developer