Kerberos for Mac issues

Scott McGuire smcguire at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 28 10:58:01 EST 2002

At 5:17 PM -0500 1/27/02, John W. Eschelbach wrote:
>I have been playing with KfM for quite a while now and have not been
>able to load my realms as described in the online documentation.
>
>The first issue I noticed was that when running the installer, the
>edu.mit.Kerberos file defaults to being a Microsoft Entourage
>Preference file.  I also have Office X installed and running.  I
>edited the file in BBEdit to only have my realms configuration
>information.  I saved the file without changing the file type or
>creator.  I have also saved it as a BBEdit file and a generic text
>file, but am still unable to Edit my Favorite realm.
>
>When running the Kerberos application, I have tried to Edit My
>Favorite realm in the preference, but the only realm that is listed
>is the ATHENA.MIT.EDU realm.  When selecting the "Edit My
>Favorites", nothing happens.  I have checked the preference file
>multiple times and am confused where the application is even getting
>the ATHENA realm from.
>
>I assume all of my problems stem from not being able to load my
>realm correctly.

ATHENA.MIT.EDU is the default contents of the favorite realms list
right after you install; we have to have an entry there, and we
cannot know what your realm is until you edit the edu.mit.Kerberos
file, so we default to ATHENA.  Once KfM is locating your preferences
file, Edit Favorite Realms should show them (and your site's default
realm should be added to the favorite realms automatically) and allow
you to remove ATHENA.

The fact that Mac OS X shows your prefs file as an Entourage
preferences file is probably not be relevant; unfortunately Mac OS X
is easily confused about who preferences files belong to.  My system
shows my edu.mit.Kerberos as a BBEdit prefs file, even though the
file type/creator are correct for the Kerberos prefs file.

It does sound like KfM is having trouble finding the preferences file
you edited.  There are a number of possible reasons for this.

Please do the following:

(1) Make sure you are using the latest release of KfM.  We released
KfM 4.0b7 about 10 days ago, and it fixes some preferences locating
bugs.

(2) Make sure you are editing the edu.mit.Kerberos file in
/Library/Preferences, not the one in
/Users/userid/Library/Preferences .  In fact, throw out any that you
find in /Users/userid/Library/Preferences .

(3) Make sure there are no "backup" copies of the edu.mit.Kerberos
preferences file (such as files named ~edu.mit.Kerberos or
edu.mit.Kerberos.bak) in the /Library/Preferences or
/Users/userid/Library/Preferences directories.  If there are, trash
them.

Let us know if this helps.

Scott McGuire / smcguire at mit.edu
MIT Information Systems Macintosh Developer