krb5-1.2.4-beta1 available

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 8 17:56:00 EST 2002

    Douglas> Have you ever considered a send it your favorite patch release? There
    Douglas> are lots of people, including myself, who have some favorite changes they
    Douglas> would like to see in the release.Some of us hav be caring these forward
    Douglas> for years, even though they have been submitted but never picked.

Note that it has been years since we've cut a new branch off our
trunk.  We do try to go through the outstanding bug reports before a
branch cut.  We actually need to get better about applying patches to
the mainline in between all out bug dealing-with events.

I am working on evaluating various improvements to how we track bugs.
Universally present in everything we are considering is the ability for people to go check on the status of their patches.

I also have some ideas on mechanisms we could use to get customer
feedback on what bugs would be important for people to pull into the
release.  These ideas are just mine and I haven't run them by
powers-that-be yet, so no telling what will actually happen.  It is
clear though that we are interested in better mechanisms to know what
people who use our software care about.

Note that we'll still probably reject a lot of patches.  We're running
with somewhat different of a philosophy than some other open-source
projects.  For example the OpenAFS people claim they haven't rejected
a patch yet; we have a different approach.