kerberos port numbers

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 23 16:15:01 EDT 2002

> Sam Hartman wrote:
>> One question I have is how many machines out there still have 750
>> listed as kerberos in /etc/services?

Yes, that is kind of a key question.  Hence my asking....

"Douglas E. Engert" <deengert at anl.gov> writes:
> How many clients actually use the /etc/services port to find the KDC?
> The krb5.conf file kdc = can have the port number, and the DNS SRV record
> can provide it. So even if its in /etc/services, it is actually used?

Most of the entries in the krb5.conf file we use at MIT have kdc
entries with no port numbers; in those cases, yes, /etc/services is
used.

> Ken was asking about TCP support. The 750/tcp is not official, and I don't
> think anyone has ever used. Does Ken plain on not supporting multiple UDP
> services as well as TCP services?

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I don't plan to try port 750
for TCP, but changing UDP seems like a bigger change, since we are
trying both ports now.

> Is there any plain to drop K4 support at the same time?
>
> Or at least not adding K4 support for TCP?

We aren't dropping krb4, but we don't plan on adding TCP support for
it either.

Ken