kerberos port numbers

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Aug 23 14:21:00 EDT 2002

Sam Hartman wrote:

> One question I have is how many machines out there still have 750
> listed as kerberos in /etc/services?

Aren't there some other questions?

How many clients actually use the /etc/services port to find the KDC?
The krb5.conf file kdc = can have the port number, and the DNS SRV record
can provide it. So even if its in /etc/services, it is actually used?

The port numbers can be overloaded, as long as two servers on the same
machine don't try and run the overlapping servers.

Ken was asking about TCP support. The 750/tcp is not official, and I don't
think anyone has ever used. Does Ken plain on not supporting multiple UDP
services as well as TCP services?

Is there any plain to drop K4 support at the same time?

Or at least not adding K4 support for TCP?