Eudora and MacOS X 10.2

Marshall Vale mjv at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 22 12:01:05 EDT 2002

At 2:44 PM -0500 8/21/02, Matt Elliott wrote:
>I just upgraded our first test system to Mac OS X 10.2 and Eudora now quits
>with the following error on launch.
>
>"The application "Eudora" could not be launched because of a shared library
>error: "V<eudora51-carbon><MIT Kerberos;DESLib;Carbon><MIT
>Kerberos;VerberosVectorLib;Carbon><>"
>
>Does anyone know what that means or how I get around it.  We aren't even
>using Kerberos with Eudora because it hasn't worked up to this point.

Eudora, and any other CFM based Carbon application which use
Kerberos, require a Kerberos CFM bridge library be installed. At some
point in the past, either the Mac OS X 10.1 Kerberos Extras or
Kerberos for Macintosh 4.0 packages were installed on this system.
The Kerberos CFM bridge library for Mac OS X 10.1/KfM 4.0 is not
compatible with KfM 4.5 which is included in Mac OS X 10.2.

A Kerberos Extras package for Mac OS X 10.2, which includes an
updated CFM bridge library, will be released soon. The decision not
to include the CFM bridge library in Mac OS X is Apple's.

As for Eudora's Kerberos support, Eudora on the Macintosh has only
ever directly supported Kerberos v4 via the KCient API. Any support
for Kerberos v5 was done through hacks to the KClient implementation.
This was unfortunately as while it enabled Eudora to use v5 kpop, it
did not support any other KClient based application in a v5
environment.

Compatibility with this K5Client mode was not carried forward to Mac
OS X due to technical issues.

A future version of Eudora on the Macintosh will support GSS/Kerberos
v5 natively for the appropriate versions of pop, IMAP and SMTP. I
mention this publicly with Qualcomm's permission.

Marshall
--
Marshall Vale    | mjv at mit.edu | Information Systems
Massachusetts Institute of Technology