kadmin not working after server migration, but kdc works

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Sep 20 11:43:40 EDT 2022

On 9/20/22 10:19, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> I can log in to the server; "kinit" works just fine. However, kadmind
> refuses to start, and when I run "kadmin.local", I get:
>
> root at lounge ~ # kadmin.local
> Authenticating as principal root/admin at GREP.BE with password.
> kadmin.local: Required parameters in kdc.conf missing while initializing kadmin.local interface

This is one of our worst error messages (see
https://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=8247 ).

>From experience, this probably means you have a single-DES enctype
listed in supported_enctypes and are using release 1.18.  (In 1.17 or
previous the enctype would be recognized; in 1.19 or later the library
would ignore the enctype rather than failing out.)  Remove the
single-DES enctype and kadmind should start working again.