kadmin not working after server migration, but kdc works

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Tue Sep 20 10:19:16 EDT 2022

Hi,

A while ago, I migrated my personal server (containing a small Kerberos
realm) from my old (dedicated) server to a new one. When I decomissioned
the server, however, I forgot to check that kadmin was still working. It
turned out afterwards that it didn't.

I can log in to the server; "kinit" works just fine. However, kadmind
refuses to start, and when I run "kadmin.local", I get:

root at lounge ~ # kadmin.local
Authenticating as principal root/admin at GREP.BE with password.
kadmin.local: Required parameters in kdc.conf missing while initializing kadmin.local interface

...and I'm not sure how to fix this.

What did I do wrong? How can I debug this? How can I figure out which
parameters are missing?

Thanks for any insight,

--
     w at uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.