unexpected failure for GSS Pg server

Dameon Wagner dameon.wagner at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:03:36 EST 2022

On Wed, Feb 16 2022 at 19:58:27 -0600, Matt Zagrabelny scribbled
 in "Re: unexpected failure for GSS Pg server":
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM Dameon Wagner <dameon.wagner at it.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>

> > Armed with that information, the most likely solution would be to
> > extract a fresh keytab (using either the kadmin "ktadd" subcommand, or
> > the handy `k5srvutil` command).
> >

> Thanks for the detailed instructions, Dameon!
>
> Do you know why performing the ktadd increases the kvno? I believe that is
> what tripped me up. I thought I was just "re-exporting" the key from the
> KDC.

Always happy to help :)

The default behaviour of "ktadd" has always been to increment the kvno
of the principal, as it's effectively a password change (though using
a random key instead).

If you are in the position of really really needing to export a keytab
with the existing key(s) in it, you can, on the master KDC host, use
the `kadmin.local` command.  Once there, you can run the "ktadd"
subcommand as before, but with the additional "-norandkey" option
(which I believe is only available via `kadmin.local`).  The downside
of this though is that you're then responsible for securely
transferring the keytab to the remote host that ultimately needs it.

> > It may appear a bit old, but the O'Reilly book is still a classic
> > resource for becoming familiar with Kerberos and how it functions.
> >

> Ha! Yup! That book is in the office and I have been WFH for the last two
> years. :/

I'm in the same boat, so know the feeling well.  Thankfully have my
own copy at arms reach.

Back in the office soon though (which will be rather strange), with a
more extensive library available :)

Cheers.

Dameon.

--
Dr. Dameon Wagner, Unix Platform Services
IT Services, University of Oxford