security implications of ignore_acceptor_hostname

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri Sep 28 19:24:41 EDT 2018

On 09/28/2018 07:13 PM, Ben Gooley wrote:
> Could someone explain a possible threat due to enabling
> "ignore_acceptor_hostname=true" with an example?  I am trying to assess the
> risk in using that configuration.

If you have keys in the keytab file for multiple hostnames, and the
application asks for a specific one of them, a client could authenticate
to the other one instead.  An attack might look something like:

* root's keytab has host/machine-hostname and host/service-name,
service-name being an alias for the web service.
* www's keytab has host/service-name.
* sshd asks for an acceptor cred for host at machine-hostname, but the
library ignores the @machine-hostname part because
ignore_acceptor_hostname is set to true.
* An attacker compromises the web service and gains read access to www's
keytab.
* The attacker uses the key for host/service-name to print a ticket from
admin-user to host/service-name.
* The attacker authenticates to sshd with this ticket and gains root access.

The requirements for this attack are (1) a keytab containing keys of
mixed privilege levels, (2) a compromise of the key for a lower
privilege level, and (3) a service which is only intended for use with a
higher privilege level.