the file type of krb5-1.15.1 is wrong

Taylor Yu tlyu at mit.edu
Fri Sep 8 13:55:12 EDT 2017

Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> writes:

> On 09/08/2017 12:30 PM, Prime wrote:
>> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz
>>

>> it's actually a tar file but tar.gz
>
> I think that's an issue with web.mit.edu, although I'm not familiar
> enough with HTTP to know immediately what the problem is.  If I fetch
> that URL with wget, I receive a gzipped tar file as expected.  If I
> fetch it with Chrome or Firefox, it seems to get transparently
> uncompressed and lands as an uncompressed tar file without changing the
> suffix.

It's possible that something changed in the web.mit.edu configuration to
start sending "Content-Encoding: x-gzip" for .tar.gz files where it
wasn't before.  (I could be misremembering whether it was doing so
before.)

$ curl -I 'http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/krb5/1.15/krb5-1.15.1.tar.gz'
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.8j
Last-Modified: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 16:04:09 GMT
ETag: "7f643ca-8f0f32-58b993f9"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 17:50:18 GMT
Connection: keep-alive