gss-client

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Thu Dec 21 15:35:48 EST 2017

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 10:16:31PM +0000, Imanuel Greenfeld wrote:

> gss-client  -port 8080 -d -mech kerberos_v5 <destination server> sftp "ls"
>

> but I'm getting :-
>

>                GSS-API error str_to_oid; Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code
> may provide more information.
>
>                GSS-API error str_to_oid; Unknown error
>
>                GSS-API error initializing context : Unspecified GSS failure.
> Minor code may provide more information.
>
>                GSS-API error initializing context : Server not found in
> Kerberos database.
[...]
> I am not running gss-server because there is already a different server
> which has Kerberos configured so I'm just trying to connect to it (as above
> : <destination server>)

It will be really hard to debug "server not found in Kerberos
database" if you are trying to redact the "<destination server>"
that you are trying to use.

It also looks like (from src/appl/gss-sample/README in the source
tree) that you should only expect things to work properly if the
remote end is running an actual "gss-server" binary (that is, a
GSS-enabled sftp server will choke on the input that gss-client
sends).  But it seems that your errors are occuring before that
stage.

-Ben