Reversing 'make install' ?

Robbie Harwood rharwood at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 09:43:20 EDT 2016

JSoet <jordan.soet at ca.ibm.com> writes:

> I had a typo in my command and so I accidentally did a normal 'make
> install' when I meant to do an install to a specific directory by
> specifying DESTDIR=/path/to/dir...
>
> It doesn't seem that there's a 'make uninstall' included, is there another
> command I'm missing that can do the uninstall?

One thing you could try is making a directory (e.g., somewhere in /tmp)
and setting it as your install prefix.  Then install there and see what
files get created; delete anything in the corresponding /path/to/dir you
accidentally installed.

You'd need to be careful, though - some files will have been
overwritten, rather than created.  At the very least you will need to
reinstall your system kerberos packages (if using a package manager).