Reversing 'make install' ?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 25 21:23:46 EDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, JSoet wrote:

> I had a typo in my command and so I accidentally did a normal 'make install'
> when I meant to do an install to a specific directory by specifying
> DESTDIR=/path/to/dir...
>
> It doesn't seem that there's a 'make uninstall' included, is there another
> command I'm missing that can do the uninstall?

There is no easy way to do so.  Any files that already existed in those
paths have been overwritten and cannot be recovered other than via system
backups.

Some approximations would be to look for files modified at the same time
as the installed files, or to look at those files that were installed into
the DESTDIR and locate the analogous paths in the non-DESTDIR system.

-Ben Kaduk