kdb5_util fails to load propagated database under heavy load

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Feb 23 13:10:54 EST 2016

On 02/23/2016 11:14 AM, Christopher Odenbach wrote:
> a few days ago we upgraded our KDC server from Debian squeeze to Debian
> jessie.
[...]
> kdb5_util: Resource temporarily unavailable while making newly loaded
> database live

What version of the krb5-kdc package do you have installed?  I believe
jessie has 1.12.1, but it's useful to be sure.

"Resource temporarily unavailable" is the error message for EAGAIN.  I
can't see how krb5_db_promote() would generate that error; it doesn't do
much besides rename a couple of files.  Can you run kpropd under strace
and find out what system call returns EAGAIN?