krb5-1.14.3, make check, test3: btree: failed

Tom Yu tlyu at mit.edu
Fri Aug 26 13:27:11 EDT 2016

"squidmobile at fastmail.fm" <squidmobile at fastmail.fm> writes:

> i figured out the problem:  lack of disk space.

>     Test 3: hash: small key, big data pairs
>     dbtest: write: Success
>     test3: hash: failed
>   make[3]: *** [check] Error 1

Thanks for following up.  That makes sense.  dbtest prints an error
message when write() doesn't return the expected length, which can be -1
for error, or if it wrote an amount of output shorter than the requested
length.

Running out of disk space can cause short writes.  dbtest doesn't
distinguish between the error (return -1) case and the short write case,
printing the confusing "write: Success" because errno happened to be
zero when a short write occurred.

> you might want to provide a better error message that accurately
> reports the root problem.

That's a good idea, and we'll probably do that in a future release.
Unfortunately, the changes required are sufficiently extensive that
they're unlikely to make it into a patch release.  (There are many
invocations of write() in dbtest that have this issue.)

-Tom