Issue with kvno

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri May 29 12:17:47 EDT 2015

Vishal found issue #7092 (worked around in 1.10.1) which may provide
some clues:

    http://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=7092
    http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krbdev/2012-February/010699.html

and also provided a little more information.  Apparently the incoming
kvno (I assume from the Ticket in an AS-REP) is encoded by Windows as
FF, and is sent outgoing (I assume as part of the Ticket in a TGS-REQ)
as 00 FF FF FF FF.  No RODC is involved.

FF is the encoding of -1, not 255.  I believe MIT krb5 1.10.1 and later
would round-trip this as FF, but I'm not sure if Windows would like that
either.  Does the home domain have the kvno set to -1 for some reason?
What implementation of Kerberos is runing on that KDC?