Establish FAST encrypted channel between linux client and windows server

Wilper, Ross rwilper at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:24:27 EST 2015

I had not tried ktpass with a computer account before, but the procedure and command line outlined look ok. I would be a little wary of someone accidently deleting the computer account since the password will never be changing and thus appear to be stale to the AD administrator.

If your issue is with ktpass.exe, the author IS using an older version of ktpass.exe and I know that command line parameters have changed somewhat.  Also, AD no longer supports DES enctypes by default, but ktpass assumes that you want to set the account for DES-only enctypes... You could try using "-desonly" or check the computer account for the DES only flag. (Grasping at straws a bit)

ktpass /out testComputer.keytab /mapuser CONTOSO\Computer$ /princ host/computer.contoso.com at CONTOSO.COM /crypto RC4-HMAC-NT /rndpass /ptype KRB5_NT_SRV_HST /mapop set -desonly

I'll note that /crypto has allowed values  {DES-CBC-CRC|DES-CBC-MD5|RC4-HMAC-NT|AES256-SHA1|AES128-SHA1|All}
You might want to use AES instead or include more enctypes with a |

-Ross