Renaming principals causes them to disappear

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 17:38:53 EST 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. It seemed like a lot of overhead to put together
a standalone C program that duplicated all of the initialization and other
basic tasks, so what I ended up doing was hack the kadm5_rename_principal
function in place to do what I needed. After compiling it, and temporarily
copying in the modified library, I could run kadmin -q 'renprinc -force user
user', and rather than actually renaming anything, it would simply update
the salt in place for that principal to hardcode it to the required value.

I think this is going to work out; I tested a process where I dump my
production LDAP data for realm A, load it into the new realm B server
temporarily configured to be realm A, use the modified renprinc command to
fix the salts, dump the data again, update the dump to replace A with B,
then load it into the new realm B server. It's a bit of processing, but in
the end I was successfully able to authenticate as a principal using the
existing realm A password to realm B :), so I think it's going to suffice
for my needs.

Thanks again.